the rules of the flip flop
there’s an epidemic that sweeps the nation whenever the weather heats up: men leave their homes wearing flip flops with jeans and other long pants. you might be thinking why wouldn’t they – they’re easy to put on and they’re comfortable. i don’t get it. unless you live close to the beach or are a lifeguard there’s no reason to wear flip flops anywhere. no one wants to look at your feet. please understand i’m not talking to women. i realize this is a double standard, but women take care of their feet. men do not. i hate walking into a nice restaurant or bar and seeing dudes wearing jeans or khakis with flip flops. it’s lazy and looks terrible. there are plenty of options out there that are just as comfortable and look better i.e. loafers, driving mocs, espadrilles, vans, etc. with this in mind, here are my rules for flip flops:
1) never ever wear with jeans or pants if you’re not within a 5 mile radius of the beach. in all honesty, i wouldn’t do it at the beach, but i can live with it there.
2) if you must wear them with shorts in the summertime because they’re comfortable and your feet sweat, then only do so when the weather is 85+ degrees. you don’t want to be mistaken for a year-round summer rube.
3) never ever wear “strappy” sandals or crocs. nothing says tourist or disney world like “strappy” leather sandals especially when paired with a nice pair of white socks.
4) buy cheap flip flops .
5) never wear flip flops with skinny jeans (see below). it makes the skinny jeans look even more lame. further more, never buy super skinny jeans. they look like tights and you look super stupid.
6) do not wear a suit coat/sport coat or tie with flip flops (see below). no matter how hard you try you cannot dress up flip flops.
7) never wear flip flops to a business meeting. i don’t care if you’re a computer programmer or in the music biz. no one wants to do business with someone with exposed feet.
i’m sure many of you will disagree with me here and that’s ok. i just wanted to throw these rules out there in case i can persuade 1 or 2 of you to stop wearing flip flops with jeans. it’s such a terrible look.